Saturday, November 12, 2005

He Dreams of Women Who Read Calvino. --Pt. II

Wake from your sleep, my wishful little Italian boy. -He does not want to give up the dream of love.
- - -
He reads. He dresses sharply. He crosses his legs to the right; he crosses his legs at the “right” angle. He sips his tea, not coffee. He reads Calvino, not Miller. He dreams that he is a “hypocrite.” “Opportunist?”
He is at work and thinks of the girl, on the train, who reads “Ti Con Zero.” He thinks of a different girl, on the elevator, holding “Primal Che du Dica,” to her longing, false, little heart. She is sleepy, dreaming of a man who reads Calvino. Which to choose? He is Italian, and this is not the Invisible City, in which she lives. This is Chicago. And how to choose?

4 comments:

Lane Watson said...

Thanks. The last part I like a lot. Certainly worth revising and posting again. Let me know when it's posted.

Segue said...

Guilty as charged.

I left a sarcastic comment on your blog. Maybe that was out of line, because I don't "know" you, but I don't say things without an explanation to back it up. My personal literary world is that of editorial pages, well-reasoned opinion pieces, and intelligent debate.

Such an outlook may be out of place on a more creative and cerebral blog such as yours, and I apologize if thou hath been singed by an uncalled-for comment... But your responses to Jamoker's posts I consider fair game for debate.

I found it a little ironic that you, a bonified "blogger", took the time to belittle "blogging" as a whole... Thus, my mildy emotional response to said belittling.

On a personal level, I am admittedly not a fan of poetry or creative writing. That is an art form that, while I respect and appreciate, is not something that provides my preferred "soul food".

I appreciate that you visit my blog. My only reward for the (shallow) writing that I spew forth upon Blogger is feedback from my readers. You are one of my readers, and I appreciate that you've stopped by.

Not that I'm proud of it, per se, but my (figurative) trophy case of Debate Team paraphanalia is an explanation for my argumentative stance on just about everything. It's not personal... I just like to make a case and watch to see if it's a good one or a bad one. And I get more personal satisfaction from learning of the flaws in my thinking than I do from being "right".

As I stated before, if I'm wrong, teach me why.

And thanks for this little exchange... My little Wonder Bread blog doesn't stir up much disagreement, and I love a good discussion.

Segue said...

http://jamoker.blogspot.com

The post you commented on was from a few days ago... I could dig it out, but I'm lazy, and you probably remember it as well as I.

EATING POETRY said...

I love this analogy, part I and II: a whole nother take on books and love.