Monday, November 28, 2005

I am in Kansas City

I am in Kansas City. Kansas City is a place. A long drawn-out kind of place with no purpose to me. It breeds a hatred of unrestrained ventures. This place! This place collapses my comforted spirit. I am no Lewis and Clark. I do not wish to find new corridors to new ideas. Give me my solitude, in a known idea, about a large and known city. Let me walk with a well rehearsed map, traversing its signs, along numbered streets, in search of a deeply referenced corner store, or dilapidated theatre, the stage collapsing under the weight of decade or more players. (I will have purpose then, touch a cleft here, a chip there, the known will be turned anew.) Let me visit these known places, huddled massively together, claustrophobically so. There, will raise in me a new spirit, seeking and touching things not known. I will be shocked into a sense of foreboding and immense pleasure—it will be undesirable among the adventurer, the visionary, as well as the go-between.

8 comments:

DTclarinet said...

Wow, you're really out there now. Any cowboys? It's amazing how a big city can comfort us so, wrap us in its layers of steps and crisscrossing lights of fancy, dense with coffee dreams to fog and dream the window to the world. I hope you can go home soon.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Why are you in Kansas City? Work? Theater? I hope you are okay. I've never been there.

Segue said...

Hopefully you're in Missouri, not Kansas.

Billy Jones said...

I just popped in to see what condition my condition was in... Wait, that's not right, I'm here to let you know I added you to the list of 100 Blogging Poets In 100 Days.

DTclarinet said...

congrats on being added to the list!!

BTW the symphonic poetry carnival is up at GlitteringMuse. I hope you stop by to enjoy the fugue.

Enemy of the Republic said...

Are you still there?

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Pain, frustration...breeds great art/theatre/poetry...all that stuff. (Yay, never makes me feel better until it's over, either.)

I keep hoping for a place that suits me. Going to try the not thinking about breathing idea, so that maybe I'll be happy anywhere.

Caroline said...

I still miss you.