Thursday, November 10, 2005

She Dreams of Men Who Read Calvino. --Pt. I

This is about a girl, who reads Calvino, who dreams of her perfect man. How does she mourn at night? Does she rest uneasy, quietly deciding that she does indeed know him? No, she holds her yearnings in her soft delicate mouth. And upon wakening, she is held captive by the men, men, who like her, read Calvino. Her memories of loose dreams torture her through the day. --Maybe, he smiles at her on the Brown El’ while a copy of “Mr. Palomar” is held in his backpack. Perhaps he brushes, fragrantly, out of the elevator having just finished “Invisible Cities.”--
Each time she reaches, she prospers at knowing her man. Each time she declines, she submits to defeat. But each night, she lies down with solemnity, (For is solemnity not the way we humans worship or have our visions?), and she sobs at knowing his presence, she sobs to grasp his unknowable face.
- - -
It is disbelief that keeps us here on this wanting earth and not living our waking dreams.
- - -
We touch and we see faces. Belief is not enough. We are enamored by our features—our lips rather to kiss than speak. Our minds rather to forge the city than to explore, to seek a man, at a cafĂ©, gently reading Calvino, sitting politely and somewhat apologetic. He is waiting for the girl with the solemn dreams to speak to him.

8 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Better to dream than to settle, methinks. The lonely times are long forgotten when the right one is finally found. The dream can be the time traveling soul, offering glimpses of hope with the future it knows will certainly exist.
*This post reminded me of me, ten years ago. Lovely.

Unknown said...

You seriously don't have a book out yet???

Segue said...

Yeah, where's the book deal?

Segue said...

It's a good thing there are people like you that have "something to say that transcends the populous and not just a loyal following of bloggers".

Your blog transcends...

Man, I feel cultured.

Segue said...

Hey,

Thanks for stopping by my page.

Just so you know, I read things that interest me, and I "argue" with just about everything. Don't take it personally... My goal in life is to be proven wrong.

It's satisfying that way. I want to know why I'm wrong. Teach me.

But to that end, I'm kind of a butthead. Thank you for not taking it personally. ;)

fineartist said...

“It is disbelief that keeps us here on this wanting earth and not living our waking dreams.” ~.~Lane, Aka, hungry writer~.~

To see it, is to be it. To not be able to see it is to fall victim to self sabotage, and hopelessness. Bummer. Believe IT.

I think I’m going to copy this quote in calligraphy and post it in my classroom, all credit to you of course. Yah, I’m all over it, if you don’t mind.

Lane Watson said...

I'm honored FineArtist! thank you.

Lane Watson said...

UK--raine Genie,
I see what you're saying. Thanks.