Monday, October 17, 2005

Hungry for Fruit

I’m riding the Brown El to work. It is 7:00am--too early for a hungry writer--a sort of trance experience for me. There is a girl eating a banana. She slowly pulls down each section of yellow skin, revealing the fruit. She does this with purpose; eyes forward out the window, chewing slowly, dreamily, like a cow chewing on cud--I wish I were a cow chewing on cud. The girl catches me staring; she eyes me sideways, much like a cow. But, she is no cow. She is a girl, embarrassed. And, I am a boy, hungry. I want to stand up, scream at her, "I'm hungry, Goddamn it! Hungry like a cow chewing on a banana!"--Maybe that cow is in a safe and green field. I look out the window. This is not sexual. This is not weird. This is disconnection--one of many mornings.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my halloween costume search ended tonight, thanks. Worthy entry, keep it up.

"ME" Liz Strauss said...

You've got something going with that writing voice. It immediately drew me and made me want to read more.

Thanks for the e-mail to the crayon and for this bedtime story.

smiles,
ME-Liz

kara said...

After peeling; I break off small sections - enjoying the softness.
Prudish perhaps.

Diane said...

Very witty. I look forward to reading more.

Caroline said...

anyone eating a banana on the el is just begging for a good poking.