Monday, October 24, 2005

i decide that i am a symbol

I awaken in the morning. I have a squirrel in my attic. She is noisy. She is a she, because she is swollen in the belly. She is small and gray. I watch her in the morning before I leave for work. She will come out slowly to eat acorns and such. I do not believe she will bite, so I leave pieces of apple for her. Also, there is a rabbit. I do not know if she is a she, or if he is a he. People call squirrels dirty scavengers. People call rabbits a nuisance. I believe both only do what they are required to do: to live and build their family. —My next-door neighbor is a banker. His name is John. It could be John, but is not John. It is probably Harold. He throws pebbles at the squirrel. He also throws twigs at the rabbit. I wonder if John is a tragic symbol. I drink my milk; I decide that John is, indeed, a symbol. I think I will write mean things about him.
- - -

I work downtown. There are no squirrels or rabbits in my building or on my block—perhaps there are some in the park, but I have never seen them. Today I walk by the park hoping to see a squirrel, perhaps a rabbit, maybe offer them a small piece of my sandwich. But I only see a homeless family. Around me, on the sidewalk, I hear lots of people say dirty words about the family. They say, “These homeless families are dirty scavengers.” Or they say, “This homeless family annoys us.” I look down, sadly, at my shiny shoes. I believe the homeless family only does what they are required to do: to live and feed their children.
- - -
The squirrel that lives in my attic is tiny and gray, swollen with offspring. The rabbit that lives in my yard has big dark brown eyes and white little paws.
- - -
There lives a family with a little boy in the park.
- - -
I eat my sandwich. I decide that I am also a symbol. I think I will not write mean things about John.

3 comments:

DTclarinet said...

Well done. Carried me to the end, lightly, and offered me a gentle lesson from a friend. Dr. Seuss would be impressed. I think you are the best!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bubba. Just finally got some time to read this whole damn thing. You've got some incredible stuff in here. I'll have to check it more frequently, as it seems you post daily! We miss you here. Give me a call some time, we'll catch up.

~zamfir

Theriomorph said...

Hello, Lane - I just found your guestbook note, thank you, and have browsed your blog; nice work! Blogrolled you on Theriomorph. I like this post a lot. Will keep visiting, and look forward to more of your contributions to good writing on the blogosphere... (and hooray for Calvino)